Indigenous Issues 101
Since I began this blog, I have endeavoured to create resources for people unfamiliar with specific aboriginal topics. I like to call them Aboriginal Issue Primers, because they are introductions to topics you could spend a lifetime specialising in. Not every post I put up is a Primer, so I’ve decided to list them below topically, for ease of reference (and so I remember what I’ve already addressed!).
My focus is very much on what I call “myth debunking”. I have found it very difficult over the years to have discussions about anything related to indigenous peoples because so many bizarre beliefs get in the way. Try discussing what happened at Oka, for example, and you’ll quickly realise you’ve got to explain a lot of history and address a lot of misunderstandings before you can even get to that topic.
For me, this is a time saving device. A series of resources for myself and anyone else who wants them, so that some of the most prevalent myths can be quickly and clearly addressed, allowing a bigger conversation to (hopefully) happen.
Identity and Culture
- Aboriginal, Indian, First Nations? What To Call Us.
- Does traditional mean “frozen in time”?
- Issues in Defining Métis Identity.
- What is cultural appropriation?
- How to sniff out fake “Native American” stories/legends and why you should.
- Two-Spirit identity.
- Roadblocks to effective indigenous language development
Aboriginal Law and Treaties
- A brief intro to: approaches to Treaty Making in Canada.
- The Nature of Aboriginal Law and Historical/Contemporary Treaties.
- Without Prejudice Agreements as a Method of Denying Aboriginal Rights.
- The White Paper and the First Nations Property Ownership Act.
- Understanding the Navajo trademark and restrictions on claiming “Native made” in US.
Historic and Continuing Injustice
- Canada’s closets are packed with skeletons
- Residential Schools (introduction)
- Some of the arguments used to deny Aboriginal rights (heavy satire).
- The 60s scoop and present day Child Welfare problems, our stolen generations.
- High Arctic relocation.
- First Nations farming in the Prairies.
- What was the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples?
- Ruby’s Story
- Education: the First Nations Education Act
Specific Myths or Misunderstandings
- An Explanation of Indian Status.
- First Nation Taxation.
- “Free Housing for Indians” is a myth.
- The Stereotype of the “Drunken Indian”.
Indigenous Health and Safety
- Access to safe drinking water in First Nations communities
- OxyContin, targeting First Nations on issues of abuse
Articles About Attawapiskat
- Dealing with comments about Attawapiskat. Dealing with Comments About Attawapiskat_print version
- What is Chief Spence Hiding? Not your logical fallacy.
- Third-party manager gets the boot and you don’t even care (heavy sarcasm).
- Attawapiskat not mismanaged says the court.