Need help finding an artist.

Do you know who created this amazing image?

I have seen this picture in use in a lot of places…I myself use it as my gravatar image.  However, I have never seen it attributed to the artist and this has been bothering me for a while.

I adore this picture.  I would gladly buy it in poster form.  I’d wear it on a shirt.  I’d put it on a huge flag and walk down the Main with it!

However, I do not want any of these things if the money is not going to the artist and if that artist is not getting his or her recognition.

So I ask, does anyone know who created this beautiful image?  I’ve scoured Google images in vain, but the information must be out there somewhere!  I once came across this image with the title as ‘anishinaabekwe’, but I have no idea if that is merely what someone else called it.

Share this: Google+ Reddit Print

Categories: Uncategorized

Tags: , ,

17 Responses to Need help finding an artist.

1. tânisi âpihtawikosisân – I believe the artist is none other than Tania Williard. Besides being an amazing visual artist, she is also a curator and a community activist who resides in BC. You could get her contact info either through Vancouver Art Gallery and/or grunt Gallery.

2. Cynthia Preston says:

Going by the necklace and earings the woman may be Navaho. did a little bit of on line search but no luck even finding the image. Where did you find the image originally? That may be the clue to finding who the artist is. The pattern on the wrist band looks European though a Greek Key pattern.

3. Dagmar says:

Hi there….sent this out to some of my gaggle of awesome folk….and this is what came back to me (promptly I might add)….via the koolest kid Ruta of Manitoulin Island…would love to know if the mystery solved!
    Thanks for all you do!

Dagmar

hey dags- my friend used a web tool called “tin eye” which is a reverse image look-up
    and found the following info…

———- Forwarded message ———-

Looks like it’s the cover to Puro Pedo, vol 2 issue 2.

It’s archived under the May 2008 section, here’s a direct link to the whole issue:

The cover is credited as “Votan from Nahui Ohlin”

you’re welcome! 🙂

4. Dagmar says:

Hah….the kool blog/connected kidz these days…here’s me thinking things I received were prompt and so was I…tee hee…so truth is out, I am a Luddite…I am still really excited to find the answer to the mystery! I see major T-shirts!

5. myna lee johnstone says:

i luv seeing this image when i share your posts on fb

6. Adrienne K says:

http://nsrgnts.com/ !

My friend pointed me to their site a while back when I complimented her t-shirt. 🙂

7. Rob Schmidt says:

Here’s an artist who created a Native version of Rosie the Riveter:

He may or may not know something about your version.

8. Nadya K. says:

The artwork is called “Warrior Womyn” by Votan Ik’ahn.

9. Votan says:

Hello everyone! Thank you for the respect and compliments on my piece! It called: warrior WOMBan! “our womb is our weapon!” to represent the hardest work women go through for all people’s! If you would like to see more of my work you can check it out at: http://www.nsrgnts.com or Facebook.com/nsrgnts or Facebook.com/nahuiohlin

Thanx again